Saint George Catholic College, Southampton
Specialist Science and Technology Teaching Building
Client: Kier Construction Southern
Planning Authority: Test Valley Borough Council and Southampton City Council
Project Status: Planning Permission Granted
Our involvement commenced with the setting of a strategy to deliver the various elements of the proposal in accordance with a challenging development programme.
The site, which straddles two local planning authority areas is also heavily constrained by the existing buildings on the site, the ancient woodland that frames it, the topography and motorway noise. This left only one feasible location for the new teaching block; on the site of an existing multi-use games area (MUGA). To ensure adequate sports and play provision, the MUGA therefore needed to be relocated in advance, and this required detailed negotiations with Sport England to seek the relocation of the MUGA onto an area of playing field.
The college also required additional modular classrooms to meet its needs; and to ensure timely outcomes; the planning elements were split apart into distinct elements within each LPA area, and front runner planning applications submitted. Development has commenced and the new school building is set to open in September 2020.
- Pre-application submission in March 2019
- Meetings with planning officers and stakeholders
- Community consultation with local residents
- Planning applications lodged in May and June 2019
- Planning applications approved in July and August 2019
- Construction of the MUGA completed October 2019
- Modular Classrooms installed October 2019
- Construction of Teaching Block commences January 2020
“The planning strategy devised by Gillings Planning and their proactive approach was key to the early commencement of the enabling developments; and this will lead to the timely construction of the specialist teaching block”Lisa Wiltshire, Kier Construction Southern